The physical environment for an early childhood classroom should contain
carefully selected materials that are arranged to invite exploration and
encourage divergent thinking. To explore the planning that goes into creating a
well-designed classroom space, you will lay out multiple learning/activity
centers in an ideal early childhood classroom space and design one
Activity/Learning center. Imagine you have all the money, materials, and space
necessary for your classroom Activity/Learning Center and be creative!
1. Review Figure 6.1 Basic Interest Centers in Early Childhood
Programs in the Textbook Chapter 6.
2. Arrange Activity/Learning centers in a classroom
a. Select six (6) Activity/Learning Centers from Figure 6.1. Make a
drawing of your vision of an ideal early childhood classroom with
these centers. Make sure to clearly label each center on your
b. Briefly explain (in 1-2 paragraphs) how your arrangement
ensures smooth traffic flow and noninterference among the
interest centers in the room. Include specific examples from your
arrangement to illustrate your points.
c. Take a picture of your drawing to include with your submission.
3. Design an Activity/Learning Center
a. Choose one (1) Activity/Learning Center from your ideal
b. In 1-2 paragraphs, write a description of the center and the
activities planned for it.
CHS201 Creative Activity
Unit 4 Assignment: Design an Activity Centerc. Select at least 5 materials/items for your center based on the
planned activities. In list format below the description, include the
following information about your learning center materials/items.
i. item name,
ii. a picture if available,
iii. a brief description, and why you selected it for this
• Submit your completed written assignment in Word format. Use double
spacing and 12 point, Times New Roman font.
• Include a picture of your ideal classroom drawing with your submission.
Think about how you feel when you are in a room that is well-designed and organized. This video discusses the impact of room arrangements on preschool children. Notice the differences in the way the children play before and after the room makeover and the strategies used to make the environment more appropriate for learning.
In your initial response, answer the following questions:
As a teacher, in what ways will the organization of your classroom affect your behavior and attitude? Do you think these same factors will affect the children in your classroom? Why or why not?
Describe two examples from the video that demonstrate how changes to the room arrangement affected the children’s play.
Read Chapters 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
For each chapter (5 pts each chapter)
Type up the main points you would send home to parents and/or points you would use to train new teachers about temperament.
Make sure that the points are simple and brief. You do not want to include the whole chapter. Just do bullet points and define any type words.
Parents and Teachers do not want to read alot. Keep it simple. Imagine you are only doing a 20 minute training for each training. I
you need to write the observation of the classroom you observed (children 5-6 years old): 15 hours in total.
Each entry should be about a paragraph (4-5 sentences).
How is Social Studies taught?
How are the children’s social-emotional learning supported in the class?
How does the teacher support a sense of community?
Any suggestions to enhance practice based on readings, research, or course discussions?
2 hours -morning-answer some questions from above
3 hours – observed during lunch – answer some questions from above
Children’s Television Report:
• Watching three 30-minute programs for children during weekday and/or weekend mornings.
• Briefly summarize what the programs were about. Include the title of the programs, the channels watched, and the time slot in which they were seen.
• Discuss specifically the presence or absence of racism, sexism, negative messages, violence, and prosocial (positive) behavior.
• Use specific examples to support your comments.
• Also, be sure to watch the commercials in the time slot (before, during, and after the program) and comment on their category (junk food, toys, adult, etc.), their value, and your reaction.
• Evaluate how appropriate these programs and commercials are for children, in your own opinion.
• This written report should be typed/double-spaced and about 3 full pages to 4 pages in length.
Please read information above and watch video and list 6 main points or strategies that were new to you (6pts)
Please complete assessment and submit (5 pts)
Please type up what are two areas of growth for you professionally and what are two things you will do (ACTION ITEMS) to grow in each area? (6pts)
Please read information and watch video and list sic main points or strategies that are new to you (6pts)
DO: Creating TRUST (10pts)
Interview someone you know that has worked in the for two years (list their info) or look up the answers on the internet and/or use your own personal experiences if you are teaching.
DO: Professionalism and Social Media (6pts)
Answer questions about your work or pretend you work somewhere. Please read the NAEYC article and use that as a guide to answer your questions.